Welcome to Avon Motel, Hawera
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We welcome the opportunity to make your stay a pleasant one and provide you with the best possible service.
We have listed some useful information to make your stay with us more enjoyable.
Weekdays - 8.00am to 8.00pm
Weekends & Public Holidays - 8.00am to 8.00pm
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Arrival & Departure
- Arrival/Check-in is available from 2:00-8.00pm. Late arrivals after 8.00pm by arrangement.
- Departure/Check-out time is 10:00am. The unit key can be left in your unit on departure.
If you require a late checkout, please let us know at the time you check-in. Late check-outs are subject to availability and not always possible. Departures after midday will incur an additional day’s charge.
ATM Machines & Banks
There are 5 banks in town with ATM machines. Pak N Save Supermarket has a BNZ ATM in the main entry foyer. The Supermarket is 500m down Albion Street – which is opposite the motel.
- ANZ – 58 Princes Street
- ASB – 65 High Street
- BNZ – 88-92 High Street (opposite Union Street)
- TSB – Cnr Victoria & High Streets
- Westpac – 95 Princes Street
- Bathrooms are stocked with towels, flannels, hand towel & bathmat.
- A rubber bathmat for use in the shower (not the floor) can be found in the cupboard under the hand basin. A towelling bathmat is provided to use on the floor outside the shower.
- Guests occupying Units 1-5, please note that the shower steps down. A handrail is provided in the shower for your safety.
- Liquid soap is provided for the hand basin. The shower has a body & hair wash dispenser.
- Additional toilet rolls are in the cupboard under the hand basin. In Unit 11, spare toilet rolls can be found in the canister under the vanity unit.
- Woollen blankets for extra warmth can be found in the wardrobe of each unit.
- Units 7-10 & 13: The pillows for the queen bed in the lounge are stored behind the padded headboard.
- Continental breakfast is available for $10.00. (Cereal, juice, fruit, toast, condiments).
- Please ensure your order is placed at reception by 8.00pm the night before, as your breakfast tray is delivered to your room before 9.00pm.
- Cooked breakfasts are not available. Local cafes on High Street have delicious breakfast menus.
There are 3 pharmacies in Hawera, located in High Street, Victoria Street & at the Hospital in Hunter Street. They operate during normal business hours Monday – Saturday. Please note these pharmacies do not operate late nights or after hours.
A list of local churches is available from reception.
Hawera Cinema 2 is situated at 110 Princes Street (a 10 minute walk from Avon Motel). For information on movies, screening times, phone the Movie Info Line on 06 278 1300 or visit www.haweracinema.co.nz
Coffee & Tea
All units are provided with complimentary tea, coffee, hot chocolate, sugar & twin pack of cookies. Additional supplies of tea, coffee, hot chocolate and sugar are topped up during daily servicing. Milk is provided in rooms at check-in but is not re-stocked as part of daily servicing.
Cooking & Food
Please avoid cooking shellfish and other odour-smelling foods in our units, which may be offensive to subsequent guests. BBQ facilities are not available & not permitted.
Please contact reception if you require a cot/ high chair.
- All rooms are serviced daily between 9.00 -11.00am (excluding public holidays).
- If you do not wish to be disturbed for any length of time or do not require your unit to be serviced, please contact reception before 9.00am.
- Please note that if personal items are left on beds, our housekeeping staff will not tidy up or make beds in units.
The nearest AED (Defibrillator) is located at Z Service Station on the corner of South Road & Princes Street. McDonalds also has an AED. For other locations in Hawera please check on www.aedlocations.co.nz
Emergency dentists operate in New Plymouth only.
These are available on all beds. The controls can be found under the mattress. Each side of the Queen beds has a separate temperature control. Setting 1 is the lowest & 3 the hottest. Please remember to turn the blanket off before you go to sleep or leave the unit.
- To contact emergency services directly, dial 111 where you will be directed to the service required - Ambulance, Fire or Police.
- NOTE: 111 calls are free. You can call this number on a mobile phone even if the phone is out of credit.
- Please advise reception that you have called 111.
- Should you be asked, the address here is: Avon Motel, 215 South Road, Hawera, 4610, South Taranaki.
- For medical emergencies or Emergency Department please see section on Hospital
- For Non-Emergencies, dial 105 or go online at police.govt.nz (refer to Non-Emergencies)
- Refer to the “Fire Action” notice in your unit or at the front of this compendium.
- If the alarm sounds, please vacate your unit using the front ranchslider of your unit.
- For those units which have a back door (1-4 & 7-10), please note there is no street access from the back.
- The assembly point is on the street under the motel sign.
- Please keep the driveway clear for emergency vehicles.
- All units have a hairdryer which is wall-mounted in bathroom of studios & the bedroom in larger units.
- If the hairdryer does not work, press the “reset” button to operate.
Heating (Please do not leave the heaters on if you leave your unit)
Air conditioning is not provided in our units. Wall heaters in each unit are individually controlled. Doors & windows can be opened.
- Units 7, 8, 9 & 10 have two thermostatically controlled heaters. The thermostat for the large heater beside the dining room table is located on the wall above the bed in the lounge. A temperature of 22® is ample to heat the room. Please ensure the wall switch connected to the heater is turned on.
- Please do not leave the heaters on if you are not in your unit and remember to turn heaters off before you go to bed/sleep and when you vacate your unit.
Hospital (Emergency Department, formerly A & E)
- Hawera Hospital is located at 37 Hunter Street, which can be accessed off South Road & Waihi Road. The 24-hour ED (Emergency Department) provides emergency services.
- If you have a serious injury or illness you should go to the ED (formerly A & E) or dial 111.
- For non-urgent health issues or if you are uncertain how serious the problem is, you can call the 24 hour Healthline on 0800 611 116for advice.
- Complimentary high speed unlimited wifi is available to all units.
- The password is detailed on your room key.
Iron & Ironing Board
- All units have their own iron and ironing board (located in the wardrobe).
- Some irons can be found in the bathroom cupboard.
If you are leaving early, please leave the key in your room and close the door.
- The guest laundry is located between Units 5 & 6 and is available from 9.00am - 8.00pm. Laundry powder is provided and use of the washing machines & dryer is free.
- The washing machine does a cold wash only.
- A clothes line is available behind the fence opposite the guest laundry.
Laundromat – (24 hour/Self Service, Princes Street)
- Hawera’s 24 hour Laundromat is located in Princes Street (turn right at the Z Station and the Laundromat is opposite Pak N Save.
- The local Laundromat has 6 x 10kg ($4), 2 x 18 kg ($8) & 2 x 25 kg ($10) machines for small and large loads. There are 10 driers.
- Payment for washing machines & driers is by Eftpos only.
- The soap powder machine at the Laundromat takes a $2 coin only.
- A list of local attractions can be found on our website under “Activities”.
- Cafes, restaurants, chemists, churches & other local businesses are available from reception and detailed in the compendium in your unit.
- All lost property/ items left behind, (including food) are returned to reception.
- If you believe you have left items behind, please contact us to make enquiries and/or to make arrangements for postage. (Food, drinks & underwear are not kept)
- If you require your goods to be returned, please send a self addressed, pre-paid post bag to Avon Motel, 215 South Road, Hawera 4610.
- If you encounter any broken or faulty equipment during your stay, we would be most grateful if you could advise us. (Light bulbs, batteries, faulty switches). This will allow us to have the fault rectified promptly.
- Guests will be responsible for any damage to room furnishings and fixtures.
- A portable shower seat with arms and a raised toilet seat are available for guests who require assistance in the bathroom.
New Plymouth Airport
- New Plymouth airport serves the surrounding region of Taranaki. It is located 11km from New Plymouth’s city centre & 72 kilometres from Hawera on State Highway 3 north to Auckland.
- The most direct route is via State Highway 3 to Inglewood, then via SH 3A or vice versa if you are travelling from the airport to Hawera.
- Several car rental agencies operate from New Plymouth Airport.
- Should you require a taxi to Hawera please book online at https://city-airport-taxis.com/airporttransfers/reservations/taxi-from-New-Plymouth-Airport-to-Hawera
- Bus services do not operate from the airport.
- If you have trouble with fellow guests please let the office know (phone 06 278 7144). We do not always hear the disturbances and if we don’t know we can’t help.
- On occasions where management have requested guests to refrain from excessive noise or behaviour and guests continue to offend, occupancy may be terminated on the third warning.
- If the occupancy is terminated the guests must immediately vacate the room and any monies paid are non-refundable.
- All visitors must depart by 9.00pm.
- If noise persists after 10pm contact the Police 06 278 0260 or Noise Control 0800 111 323.
- Monday – Friday: 7.30am – 8.30pm
- Weekends & Public Holidays: 8.00am – 8.00pm
Should you require assistance once the office is closed, please call 06 278 7144. The reception phone operates from 7.00am – 10.00pm. Please note any calls made after 10.00pm go direct to voicemail and will not checked until the following morning.
- Each unit has ONE assigned car park immediately outside the unit.
- All visitors must park on the street – absolutely NO PARKING outside units.
- The motel will not be liable for any damage or theft to any personal belongings including motor vehicles and contents.
Pets are not permitted on site or in our units.
- Please leave all rubbish in your unit. Rubbish is cleared daily and our staff will dispose of the rubbish correctly.
- Please leave any recyclables (glass, plastic bottles/containers/carboard) on the bench in your unit and not in the rubbish bin.
- For future reservations, contact reception during office hours or book online via our Facebook and/or website avonmotel.co.nz
- Group bookings of 20+ are subject to a minimum stay of 2 nights and must be booked direct with Avon Motel. We do not accept group bookings via Booking.com or other OTA’s
- Bookings made through Booking.com, Expedia, Wotif or other online travel agencies (OTA’s) rates are generally $20 more expensive than booking direct with Avon Motel
- For a more competitive rate, phone Avon Motel on 0800 28 80 48 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- The main shopping area is High Street.
- Shops are open Monday to Friday from 9.00am – 5.00pm and Saturday mornings 9.30am – Noon.
- Not all shops are open over the weekend.
- Reception staff will be happy to provide you with retail therapy recommendations and directions to local shops and supermarkets.
- You may hear an external Siren throughout the day/night.
- Please do not be alarmed, as the siren is to call Hawera’s volunteers to an emergency.
- The Fire Station is situated a short distance from the motel, on the corner of South & Fairfield Roads, opposite McDonalds.
- ALL ROOMS ARE NON-SMOKING/NON-VAPING – this includes the bathroom & showers.
- A $250.00 fine will be charged if there is evidence that smoking/vaping has occurred in the unit.
- Do not smoke in the doorways of units and please be considerate to other guests by not allowing smoke to drift into other units if you choose to smoke outside.
- Dispose of cigarettes in the smoking pots provided and not on the ground, in gardens or driveway.
- Please do not spit on the driveway or outside units.
- Pak ‘n Save is the closest supermarket and can be found 500m down Albion Street, just across the road. It is open from 8.00am – 9.00pm daily.
- Countdown Supermarket is in Union Street and open from 7.00am – 10.00pm daily.
- The Warehouse at 275 High Street is open 8.00am – 8.00pm daily.
- The closest New World is in Stratford – a 30 minute drive.
- Four Square has several outlets in Manaia, Eltham, Patea, Stratford, Opunake, Rahotu, Okato, Oakura & New Plymouth.
Telephones are no longer provided in units. Reception is happy to help should you require a call to be made. The local Taranaki telephone directory is provided in each unit.
- Sky Sport 50+ Channels with Sky decoders is available in each unit.
- Sky Movies are not available.
- A single remote operates both Sky & TV. Please note there will be a small delay while Sky warms up.
- Operating instructions can be found on page 11 in the compendium in your unit.
- My Sky is available in each unit should you wish to record programmes.
- During extreme weather (rain/strong winds) there may be a temporary loss of picture due to atmospheric conditions. There is no “quick fix” during this event and the Sky decoder will correct itself eventually.
There is a limited Taxi service in Hawera which operates Monday-Friday during business hours only.
- South Taranaki Passenger Service: 06 278 3933
- Operates Monday – Friday, 8.00am – 5.00pm.
- Travel required outside these hours by arrangement only
- This service also provides transport for the disabled, elderly and physically challenged.
- Energy City Cabs: 0800 14 15 25
- Available Monday – Friday, 7.00am – 6.00pm
- This service is only available for Hawera-New Plymouth travel – i.e. the airport/city estimated cost $150.00.
- For airport transfer to Hawera via taxi – book online https://city-airport-taxis.com/airporttransfers/reservations/taxi-from-New-Plymouth-Airport-to-Hawera
Transport (Bus Services)
- Hawera does not operate a round-town bus service.
- The Connector bus operates a Monday to Friday bus service from Opunake – Hawera - New Plymouth. For more information and timetable https://www.trc.govt.nz/buses-transport/routes/hawera-np-connector/
- Inter-City, White Star & Dalroy Express buses operate in and out of Hawera daily to New Plymouth, Whanganui and other main centres in New Zealand
- All services arrive and depart from the Hawera Information Centre, 55 High Street (under the Water Tower). Tickets can be purchased from the Information Centre.
- For more information, contact the Information Centre, 06 278 8599
The privilege of having visitors is at the discretion and by courtesy of Motel Management and is not the accepted right of the paying guests.
- Kindly ask your visitors to park their vehicles on the street at all times – absolutely NO PARKING outside units.
- Maximum of 4 visitors per unit at any one time.
- In consideration of other guests we do not allow parties or large gatherings in our units.
- All visitors must depart quietly by 9.00 pm.
Standard NZ Current 230/240 volts/AC.
- Complimentary wifi is available to all units.
- The password is provided on your room key.